Save the Children International has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as the– Global Head of Insurance in London.
With support from the Chief Risk Officer and Insurance team members, develop a Centre of Insurance Excellence for Save the Children movement; driving administrative and financial efficiencies for Save the Children International and Save the Children Members; promoting and delivering professional risk financing and required training.
To closely with other risk functions reporting to the Chief Risk Officer to develop a coherent and coordinated risk approach and appetite for the organisation.
The role holder will be responsible for setting and managing global Insurance programmes (General and Employee benefit insurances) on the most effective and efficient basis and will provide shared insurance services to Save the Children members, achieving improved risk coverage, consistency across the Movement and overall cost of risks savings.
The role will have full accountability for managing over USD 4m of insurance premiums across both employee and non-employee insurances. Additionally, the role will have full accountability for managing SCI’s brokers and the costs of these brokers.
Finally, the role will have full accountability to manage all insurance claims to bring these to the best possible conclusion.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Chief Risk Officer
Staff reporting to this post: Insurance Manager- Employee Benefits; Insurance co-ordinator, insurance interns and/or volunteers
Budget Responsibilities: Directly responsible for the central insurance budget, overall responsibility for insurance spend in COs, and in due course accountable to members for insurance spend in members.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- With support from the Insurance team members, be fully accountable for setting up and managing a global risk financing programmes (General and Employee Benefits insurances) on the most effective and efficient basis. Ensuring maximum mitigation of SCI’s insurable risks.
- Be fully accountable for engaging with Save the Children Members to promote movement wide risk financing arrangements and shared services, achieving improved risk coverage, consistency of arrangements and overall cost of risks savings. Accountable to the Chief Risk Officer and Chief Finance Officer who will support with this.
- Accountable and responsible for all insurance and insurance related reporting to SLT, Treasury Committee and Finance Committee (Committee of Board of Trustees)
- Drive and be accountable for all insurance elements needed to develop risk management culture. In close cooperation with the risk management team by raising awareness and understanding through promotion, communication and training, integrating the elements which contribute to risk exposure and control
- Fully accountable for the management of external insurance providers, including brokers, insurers and assistance providers, ensuring best value for money, best risk coverage and service levels are achieved.
- Accountable for carrying out regular tendering exercises of both broking services and insurance procurement, benchmarking as appropriate
- Fully accountable for the management, support and development of Insurance team members, providing on the job training, and proposing external study and training if appropriate, ensuring team structure and activities are in line with set objectives.
- Fully accountable for the negotiation of the renewal of all policies with insurers and advisers to obtain the best possible combination of premiums, excesses and terms, appropriate to Save the Children’s needs.
- Proactively implement as appropriate alternative methods of risk financing and advise on the most cost-effective method of financing risk.
- To systemise Save the Children’s claims handling and reporting and analytical processes.
- Accountable for ensuring claims are being handled in a timely and efficient manner and helpful response are being provided to various stakeholders.
- Fully accountable for setting up an Insurance centre of excellence to ensure that high quality insurance advice is provided, in particular:
- High quality technical advice is available and provided in a timely and efficient manner to Country Offices and participating Members in support of ongoing activities and new initiatives, mitigating exposure where possible.
- Comprehensive Contractual Risk Management support is available and provided in timely and efficient manner as and when required.
- Prompt and relevant support and advice to new areas of operations and ensure insurance cover in place for activities carried out.
- Responsible for managing external insurance providers in relation to requests for immediate assistance for emergency medical evacuation following serious illnesses or accidents to ensure prompt action is taken by supporting agencies, ensuring that all personal, financial and medical details of staff and their families are handled in the strictest confidence
- As the most senior insurance professional in the Save the Children movement, responsible for representing Save the Children on external working parties and committees e.g. AIRMIC Charity Special Interest Group etc. to ensure that Save the Children’s insurance and insurance related interests are fully recognised and acted upon in the wider external insurance community.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Substantial experience in an In-house Insurance Role with experience of global organisations and Employee Benefits insurances.
- Prior experience at the senior/leadership level.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, with the gravitas to inspire and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience and capability to influence change and ensure the delivery of major projects.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, defining a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in.
- A proven ability to think creatively and strategically, overcome obstacles to cooperation and progress.
- A demonstrable ability to maintain positive professionalism and productivity under occasional periods of intense work pressure.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse setting.
- A positive “can do” attitude and someone who is deeply committed to Save the Children’s mission.
Attention to detail and quality and sees things through to completion
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for delivering tasks as directed
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to and communicates effectively
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Qualified, or working towards obtaining ACII (Advanced Diploma from the Chartered Insurance Institute)
- Member of a professional insurance/risk body e.g. Chartered Insurance Institute, Institute of Risk Management
Qualified to degree level
We can offer circa £ TBC per annum (If based in UK) with an option of flexible of working hours. If the role is based outside of the UK, National T&C (including pay) will apply.
This role can be based in (Location) or any existing Save the Children office location on approval, provided the successful candidate has proof of eligibility to work from the preferred location.
Where we Work - Where We Work | Save the Children International
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process