The Project Manager will be based in SCI’s North Area Office and will manage the implementation of the education project funded by AICS across Akkar and North Governorates. The Project Manager is expected to lead overall project planning, delivery, budget management, documentation, team management (including recruitment), partnership management, and representation of the project in line with donor and internal Save the Children standards and procedures. The Project Manager will be responsible for the identification of project needs in the North and Akkar, will contribute to proposal and strategy development, and will ensure that the project is implemented in a timely manner within the project period, with a focus on quality.
Level 2 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have some contact with or access to children or young people
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Area Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: Education Officer, Shelter and WASH Officer, and Case Management Officer.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Oversees the implementation of activities related to Education, Child Protection, and Shelter / WASH across multiple locations, including the implementation of approaches and tools developed by the Programme Development and Quality team (PDQ).
- Facilitates technical dialogue with PDQ in the country and in SC Italy.
- Effective monitoring of financial and activities progress of the project, identification, and design of potential project adjustments differing from the grant agreements (in consultation with the Area Manager and the donor agency
- ensures project implementation and management comply with donor regulations in close coordination with SC Italy grant unit.
- Ensures effective oversight of local partner organizations with a specific focus on their work plan, activities implementation, and capacity-building support.
- Ensures proper coordination with partners.
- Works closely with Logistics and Human Resources teams to ensure procurement and recruitment plans are in place, respectively, and ensures relevant follow-up.
- Quality assures programme and donor reports on the project activities in compliance with internal SCI requirements and any relevant external donor requirements, prior to being shared with the relevant Technical Advisors.
- Ensures integration of Child Protection and Education with other core sectors, in close collaboration, particularly with Shelter, WASH, Food Security, and Livelihoods.
- Ensures that minimum standards are maintained in accordance with the Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action, the Inter-Agency Case Management Guidelines, the Sphere Charter, and the Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies Minimum Standards.
- Works closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning team (MEAL) to ensure the effective monitoring and evaluation of programmes.
- Works closely with the MEAL and PDQ teams to put in place accountability measures, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in programme design.
- Identifies opportunities and materials to contribute to communications and media work and supports the facilitation of media visits in coordination with the Policy, Advocacy, and Communications team (PAC).
- Provides overall leadership and management in creating short and long-range operational plans, which will lead to successful project implementation.
- Ensures that project staff effectively plan and deliver activities according to the overall project implementation plan including detailed annual activity and budget management, quarterly work, budget, and procurement projections, which will be accompanied by appropriate cash flow needs analysis.
- Ensures compliance with Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding policy, as well as Accountability and Child Participation practices throughout the projects’ activities.
Staff Management and Development:
- Manages the project team and defines expectations, provides leadership and technical support needed, and evaluates direct reports regularly.
- Ensures that all staff understand and can perform their roles in line with the project and SCI structures.
- Leads on the recruitment of project staff when needed and ensures their capacity building as per the project needs.
- Manages staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems as per SC Lebanon HR processes.
- Manages the performance of all staff project teams through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews, fair and unbiased evaluations, coaching, mentoring, and other developmental opportunities.
- Acts as the main interface with the donor in the country.
- Participates in the periodic coordination meetings at the Italian Embassy – AICS delegation in the country.
- Participates in thematic tables/fora led by the donor.
- Establishes and maintains good relations with the donor representative in the country to share best practices and position for future funding.
- Coordinates and liaises with the local government when needed and represents the project and SC with NGOs, and other agencies involved in the relevant sector.
- Represents the project in policy and technical fora in the country and shares best practices and learning.
- Ensures that Save the Children's work is coordinated with the efforts of other agencies, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed.
- Ensures community acceptance and maintains engagement with local government (municipalities and relevant local representatives of ministries).
- Ensures capacity building of local partners.
- Works closely with the Partnership Unit for the identification of local partners for implementing education and child protection interventions funded through SCI and is responsible for partnership management to ensure programme delivery.
- Supports in the completion of partner assessments and works closely with partners on the development of proposals and budgets for their sub-award agreements.
- Provides continuous programme management and facilitates technical support to partners to ensure timely quality programming.
- Works with HR/Finance/Supply Chain teams to ensure partners are receiving adequate support from support sections.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practices with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, safety and security, anti-harassment, and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in education, Social Work, Human Rights Law, International Relations, Development Studies, or another relevant field. Equivalent field experience will also be considered.
- Fluent in Italian and English, both written and oral.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing humanitarian/development multi-district projects, with proven experience in managing teams, staff training, and capacity building of organizational staff and partners.
- Proven experience in overseeing institutional grants, especially AICS-funded interventions.
- Experience in coordination with local and international NGOs, organizations’ representation with donors, and humanitarian actors.
- Flexible and able to work in volatile contexts.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Desirable previous experience in Lebanon or MENA.
Additional job responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within the reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.