ROLE PURPOSE: Save the Children currently operates a significant portfolio of programmes in Ukraine. It has a workforce of over 400 staff and annual expenditure for 2023 is expected to be in excess of $70 million. Currently, the vast majority of these funds are directed towards humanitarian activities. It is expected that Save the Children will continue to prioritize humanitarian needs within Ukraine for the foreseeable future.
There are also numerous long term, not specifically humanitarian, challenges and opportunities for Ukrainian children, across all of Save the Children’s ‘Global Goals’ areas of focus, most of which are exacerbated by the ongoing conflict and Ukraine’s economic fragility. With the conflict currently showing no current signs of abating, there is growing interest in ‘recovery and reconstruction‘ possibilities in locations where this is possible. And the government of Ukraine’s desire for (rapid) accession into the EU, with numerous conditionalities to be met, is likely to provide a foundation for substantial reforms and a focus on longer term goals.
Save the Children, together with national and international partners, intends to respond to those longer term needs. To facilitate this expansion into ‘development work’, SC Ukraine will establish a small ‘Recovery and Development Unit”, to drive forward organizational thinking in this area, identify and land ambitious strategic opportunities and partnerships, and ensure that Save the Children is well positioned to support the longer term needs and rights of Ukrainian children.
This is a senior post, reporting directly to the Country Director, and working in collaboration with other leaders within the Senior Management Team. The Unit Director will set up and lead the Unit. S/he will, where relevant, and in line with the specific focus of the Unit, represent Save the Children with the government, donor representatives, peer agencies and local communities.
The role requires strong ‘generalist’ programme knowledge across Save the Children’s themes, excellent managerial and team building skills, together with an entrepreneurial, strategic and politically savvy mindset. S/he should be a consensus builder, committed to developing a development approach built upon collaboration with colleagues and partners, understanding that much of the Unit’s work depends on effective cross-departmental relationships. The Unit Director is also accountable for appropriate fiscal management of the Unit and its staff and ensuring strong management of risks, including in relation to safety and security, donor compliance and key legal and regulatory risks.
This is a pivotal role with the opportunity to play an important part in supporting the ongoing recovery of Ukraine for the betterment of children. We seek ambitious and innovative candidates excited by this possibility and able to drive forward transformational change.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Unit leadership and strategy:
Representation, Coordination, Advocacy and Partnerships:
• Regularly undertake representation on development issues at a national and local level with Government partners, media as well as donor representatives and NGO counterparts,
• Develop the capacity of Unit staff to ensure they can represent the agency in different forums and meetings;
• In conjunction with ACCM Director, identify opportunities and materials to contribute to effective communication and media to promote Save the Children programs;
• Establish effective networks with donors, civil society and government in country to increase the impact and sustainability of Save the Children’s work across Ukraine
• Establish systems for communication with local Government partners, relevant line departments and community representations with a particular focus on new projects
• Help shape broader sector strategies through influencing the inter-agency coordination forums, ensuring that the specific needs of children are being addressed;
• Ensure that partners’ and Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and the Government at national levels
• Where relevant, and in conjunction with Director of ACCM, Collaborate with the colleagues in the region to deliver regional and sub-regional programmes and advocacy
Unit management and implementation:
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS :
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
If you are interested in the vacancy, we are looking forward for your application. A СV in English will be an advantage. Also, we will be grateful if you indicate the expected salary level and the level of English language proficiency.