Terms of Reference
for developing Economic Empowerment Program for Families and Youth (EEFY) at risk
ENVISION – Creating ENabling enVIronment for Social InclusiON of children phase II
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro
36 months (January 1st, 2019 – December 31st, 2021)
Duration of assignment:
March 1st 2020 – Jun 20th 2020 (no longer than 30 days in this period)
Partners in project implementation:
NGO "Nova Generacija "Banja Luka
NGO "Otaharin "Bijeljina
Youth Centre "Vermont "Brčko
Association "Altruist "Mostar
Centre for Child Rights Podgorica
Association "Defendology" Nikšić
CSW Banja Luka
Save the Children Italy
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In northwest Balkans and around the world, we work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn, and protection from harm. When crisis strikes and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children's unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Street involved and at-risk children present one of the most jeopardized groups in the state of social need that, due to the poverty and lack of work, stay excluded from all relevant social systems. The number of street-involved children has increased rapidly over the past few years. Most street-involved children live below the poverty line, often part of a cycle of poverty that is generationally passed on. As a group, street-involved children have to a large extent been 'hidden' from the public eye as well as the main spheres of political, economic and social life in B-H.
The opening of Drop-in centers (DiC) for street-involved and at-risk children was on several occasions characterized as the only positive example of support provided to this population. Strengthening existing and replicating quality services for street-involved children has become the basis of the ENVISION project. Within this Project, Save the Children has established strategic partnerships with governmental institutions and NGOs in Sarajevo, Mostar, Banja Luka, Brcko and Bihac in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Podgorica and Nikšić in Montenegro.
This service consists of several components: specialized programs for children and families, legal assistance, psychological counseling, educational activities, school inclusion, and access to welfare benefits.
Besides services defined through DiC methodology, additional specialized programs have been developed and tested during 2016-2018. The Family Strengthening Program (FSP) was developed in 2016, and by the end of 2019, it was piloted in all 7 DiCs. Additionally, this Program has been integrated and piloted in 3 CSW (Bihać, Banja Luka and Nikšić). In a relatively short period of time, FSP showed significant results in supporting and strengthening families. The FSP program offers a working model with vulnerable families and boys and girls.
With an aim of additional strengthening capacities of families and young boys and girl, it is envisioned to expand the FSP program with one more component - Economic Empowerment of Families and Youth (EEFY) in 2021, through ENVISION project intervention.
After being expanded, this component of the Program will be piloted in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro and will be primarily implemented by DiCs and introduced to Centers for social welfare (CSW). Since this component will be part of an already existing Program, it is planned to bolster implementation involving families and young boys and girls enrolled within the FSP program and DiCs. Including youth from DiCs and FSP will enable this Program to play a preventive role in addressing program beneficiaries’ long-term economic disadvantaged position and exclusion of the most vulnerable youth.
The program of economic empowerment of families and youth, as an innovative approach, should be designed to create conditions for a long-term and sustainable solution of poverty, through strengthening the capacity of parents and youth, their inclusion in educational, social and economic flows, and empowering employers and sensitizing the labor market.
Purpose of this Program component will be to strengthen the skills and competencies of families and youth at risk to be competitive in the labor market and seek economic opportunities. The basis for this program component is a comprehensive analysis of existing models, best practices, labor market research, and recommendation for the economic empowerment of families and youth at risk, that have been conducted in 2020.
3. PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
This consultancy aims to develop the Program for Economic Empowerment of Families and Youth at risk. This Program will address marginalised youth and families' unemployment, their skills development, needs analysis to reduce social exclusion and negative perceptionabout the socially marginalized groups among employers and community members, and improve access to employability skills service and networking with potential employers.
It should address the following components:
1. Component of working with employers while harmonizing the existing gap between the skills of individuals and the needs of the labor market;
2. Working with families and youth while motivating and educating parents and young people at risk for more active participation in social life, and a more proactive attitude towards education and the labor market.
The Program will be intended primarily for DiCs and CSW professionals use, while working with youth and families involved in DiC programs and FSP. From that point, the significant part of the Program should be defining the role of DiCs and CSW when working with families and youth and strengthening professionals’ capacities to work on those issues with target group.
To achieve the purpose of the consultancy, the Consultant will:
- Review previous research findings and analysis conducted as part of ENVISION project (existing economic empowerment program analysis, market analysis) and ENVISION project documentation if necessary
- Review all relevant SCI Economic Empowerment Programs material.
- Identify and select the most relevant findings and training material for local adaptation.
- Use all gathered material to develop The Program for Economic Empowerment of Families and Youth (including training manual , training material, etc)
- Digitalize the materials and provide training for DiC and CSW professionals (remote or face to face, according to the epidemiological situation) Provide follow up support on the technical issues
- Provide mentoring and coaching support in Program implementation and engage key stakeholders to bring change.
- Communicate regularly with partners
4. SCOPE OF WORK
A consultant is expected to carry out the following activities:
· Hold an initial meeting with Save the Children to finalize the work plan agreement.
· Create a work plan and schedule, and present it to Save the Children staff.
· Review gathered materials and develop the EEFY program according to Section 3. Purpose of consultancy
· Submit the final version of the EEFY Program for endorsement by Save the Children.
· Deliver training for the DiC and CSW representatives.
· Submit the final Report to the SCI staff.
5. WORK METHODOLOGY
The Consultant will submit a technical and financial offer, which includes the description of the methodology and detailed work plan. During the engagement, the Consultant will mainly work with Save the Children staff in Sarajevo. In order to adequately prepare for the creation of defined consulting assignments, it is crucial to review all the relevant documents of the respective subject area. Since Save the Children has been long involved in dealing with issues related to children on the move, it is necessary to carefully study and consult the documentation available on the website of our organization (https://nwb.savethechildren.net).
Location and official travel involved
The Supplier will organize its own time in its own facilities during the time of engagement which will be no longer than 20 business days. The Supplier will be required to travel to other locations. Any required travel will need pre-approval by SCI in accordance with SCI’s Travel Policy and applicable RO/CO Expense Policy.
6. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Save the Children staff based in Sarajevo will be the main focal point for the Consultant.
Duties of Consultant:
· The Consultant is required to maintain the contact with the Save the Children staff over the entire process and inform them, on a regular basis, of the process and seek information and guidance as necessary.
· The Consultant has a general managerial responsibility for the implementation of the Consultancy tasks.
· The task of the Consultant will be to develop required documents and submit the documents to Save the Children for comments and suggestions, if any, within the agreed timeframe.
· The Consultant is required to include the feedback information as given by Save the Children in the final version of the document, as necessary.
· The Consultant is required to abide by the time frame set for the consultancy work.
Responsibilities of Save the Children:
· Provide all background materials for the Consultant on time.
· Monitor adherence to specified deadlines, facilitating access to required information.
· Provide guidance throughout all phases of implementation, approving all deliverables, and facilitating, access to any documentation (or any person) deemed relevant to the process.
· Share deliverables with stakeholders.
· Ensure cooperation from partner organizations.
· Perform quality control of all deliverables, as required.
- Comprehensive training module, with a three-day training curriculum for the Program of Economic Empowerment of Families and Youth.
Prepare training manual and training materials
- Documents should be produced in one of the local languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Latin alphabet, A4 format, Gill Sans MT, font-size: 11).
- The document should include Content; Abbreviations; Abstract; Introduction; Purpose and objectives the manual; Theoretical background; Other research findings; Workshops/training sessions; Recommendations for future facilitators.
- Final report on completion of the task should be submitted in English and local language.
In order to perform all scheduled tasks, an independent Consultant shall be hired for the period March 1st 2021 – Jun 20th 2021 in a duration no longer than 30 days. The Consultant will prepare and implement the work plan in consultations and with the support of relevant Save the Children staff.
Hold an initial meeting with Save the Children to finalise work plan agreement.
Create a work plan and schedule and to present it to Save the Children staff.
Developing Training Program for EEFY
March 10th – April 10h
Submit final version of the manual to SCI for comments and include SCI comments to final document
April 11th – April 22nd
Deliver ToT to DiC and SCI staff
Maj 2021 (exact dates will be confirmed)
Submit the final Report for endorsement by Save the Children.
* The time frame can be changed in consultation with the relevant staff of Save the Children
9. REQUIRED EXPERTISE AND EXPERIENCE
Consultant should possess the following expertise and skills as a minimum:
· Minimum University degree in the field of economic or social sciences (M.A. or PhD in relevant field is an advantage)
· Extensive knowledge on socially marginalized groups and economic situation in the Region.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting need assessments and developing training modules/curriculum, training materials etc.
· Demonstrated experiences and skills in facilitating stakeholder/working group consultations and training.
· Experience in working on economic empowerment programs.
· Fluency in English and local language
· Strong analytical and communication skills.
The consultants must indicate the prices he/she is offering to Save the Children as part of the contract, including the currency in the Bidding Response document as well as SC-PR-10-Request for Quotation if applying on behalf of a company or organization. Provide a narrative clarification of each budget activity demonstrating how they relate to the proposed methodology and work plan. The budget headings and specific budget lines are obligatory within proposed budget.
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount (including a breakdown of costs for fee, travel, and number of working days). Payments will be made in installments based upon key outputs, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the ToR.
· 20% on signing the contract and submission of a blueprint including work-plan and methodology for the assignment (in English)
· 40% on submission of comprehensive training manual including a three-day training curriculum (in local language)
· 40% on completion of ToT training and submission of final report (in English).
11. APPLICATION AND BIDDING PROCEDURES
Interested consultants or companies/organisations should develop and submit the bidding proposal (accompanied with relevant annexes) in English language to respond to above mentioned specific tasks. The bidding proposal should include: 1. Package for Consultants companies OR 2. Package for Consultants Individuals:
Package for Consultants individuals (complete if applying as an individual):
1. Bidder Response document - individuals;
2. CVs format - individuals (maximum 3 pages) emphasizing relevant experience.
3. Reference list and example of a Research Paper/ Analyses/Evaluation in English
12. SELECTION CRITERIA
SC will make a decision on the most successful bidder, subject to the available budget, based on the following criteria:
No person working on any task for or behalf of Save the Children may in no way whatsoever be involved or related to child abuse or exploitation as defined in the Save the Children's Child Safeguarding Policy. The contracting authority also requires that the personal data of all evaluation participants must be protected and stored in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation - (EU) 2016/679 and the national law on personal data protection in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH Law on Personal Data Protection, Official Gazette of Bosnia and Herzegovina No. 49/06).
13. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Interested candidates should send their applications to email@example.com no later than March 5th 2021. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Detailed necessary forms can be downloaded at: